Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Zooming past

Late, late for a very important date, etc, but here's something that's both funny and interesting, which should really be all you need to read anything. As a bonus, it's a comic. After spending an evening watching RTE's coverage of our flatlining economy and the ongoing abuse scandals of certain religious orders, I'm beginning to think that we underestimate the value of humour at our peril.

Anyway, here you go. Enjoy.


And if that has sparked your interest in the economy, I suggest you pick up a copy of Fool's Gold, by the Financial Times journalist Gillian Tett. It's a good step-by-step timeline of the factors, decisions and people who directly or indirectly contributed to the current crisis.

Don't look at me like that. It's interesting stuff, and important too. If you hadn't spotted how necessary it is to look around at what's going on outside your back yard yet, then there's no hope for you. As a corollary, if anyone has a time machine, I'd really appreciate if they could pop back to around 2002 and tell me to get my head out of my navel. Cheers.

If you must be entertained, try this. It's the latest from Alan Moore & Kevin O'Neill, and Amazon doesn't seem to want to deliver it to me for some reason that escapes me. Perhaps I'm too old for funny books. Do go and read the rest of the series first, won't you?

Also, Star Trek. I've seen it twice, and I never go anywhere. If you see any shreds of my credibility, try and grab them before they can get away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Welcome to my blog. I'm a freelance writer/journalist/researcher/editor. I write about education and ideas I've had for the Irish Times. I also research, write and edit for writers, publications and websites. Here I put things that tend not to fit anywhere else. Enjoy.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter